Welcome to the Online Training Portal
Members: Login to enroll in and begin your online training courses.
Non-Members: You must purchase an All Access Pass to enroll in and take online courses.
Price: $699 (1-year access) - Group subscriptions: contact us>.
The All Access Pass one-year subscription enables you to take the online courses whenever and wherever you want. Course Gradebooks indicate progress through your courses and enable you to print Course Certificates upon successful completion. Course documents include Student Guides and trace files (for most cases). Use the Chat feature to communicate with other students and the instructor.
Enter your email address below to receive All Access Pass Event Notifications.
Live Class Schedule (Login and Select AAP Special Event Schedule)
- Wireshark Qt Preview (Done; Recording Process Underway) - Wireshark Qt is named this way because of the new Qt interface upon which it is built. Although we have several months until the release candidate version comes out, you can take a look at its current development state in this webinar.
- Wireshark Config Files (Done; Recording Process Underway) - Wireshark relies on a set of configuration files to display columns in the Packet List pane, apply dissectors to the traffic, perform name resolution, display Filter Expression buttons and more. In this class we will examine the location and purpose of various Wireshark configuration files and go through the process of editing these configuration files directly.
- Regex Update (Postponed) - Wireshark can use Regular Expressions in more advanced display filters. Regular Expressions (RegEx) offers a way to represent characters, numbers and symbols. In this class we will look at the current options for using RegEx with Wireshark. We' have a recorded version of a previous RegEx class in the portal, but this one will offer up-to-date information.
- Wireshark Challenges [December 3, 2014; 10:00am PDT - Pacific Daylight Time] - Test your Wireshark skills by joining us in this "Wireshark Challenges" course. In this course, Laura will present a trace file with a set of questions. You will have a short amount of time to answer the questions before Laura goes through the answers with you.
Sharkfest 2015 - June 22-25, 2015 - Registration Now Open!
- Spectacular location: Computer History Museum, Mountain View, California
- Pre-event training by Laura Chappell "Troubleshooting with Wireshark" June 20-23, 2015
- Visit www.wiresharktraining.com for registration information
New Online Courses
- CS65 Detecting Delays (Troubleshooting Category) [CPE: 2.0] In this course, Laura examines the two types of delays to watch - path latency (aka round trip time) and service response time. In this 10-section course, you will learn how to properly measure each value while avoiding an ugly Wireshark 1.10 bug and lousy TCP settings. Watch Laura browse to servers in the US, Russia, China, and Kazahkstan to examine delays.
- CS66 Adjust Key TCP Settings (Wireshark Functionality and Tips) [CPE: 2.0] This course probably offers the most comprehensive explanation of the various TCP preference settings as well as examples of when to enable/disable each setting. From using heuristic dissectors first to adding extra TCP timestamp fields - this course covers them all.
New Course Formats and Video Previews
- We've moved to a new format starting with Course number CS65. The new MP4 format is compatible on multiple browsers on various operating systems including Windows, Mac, and Linux. MP4 delivers high quality video at smaller file sizes. In addition, the new format offers full-screen capability. Simply click the full-screen icon on the control bar to view the video in maximized format. Video previews (listed on the Main Menu) offer you more detail on what each course will cover (as of course CS65).
- Wireshark Display Filters Tips and Tricks (Wireshark Functionality and Tips Category) [CPE: 1.0] Learn new display filtering techniques including filtering based on fields /strings, using the dreaded "!=" operator, and building offset (and bit-level) filters. This course includes two Notepad++ macros that you can use to convert coloring rules to Filter Expression buttons and convert Filter Expression buttons to coloring rules.
- Regular Expressions (Regex) Primer (Wireshark Functionality and Tips) [CPE: 2.0] Learn to use Regular Expressions (Regex) with your Wireshark display filters to detect key words, decimal and hex values, email addresses, IP addresses and more. In addition. Laura covers the numerous Wireshark PCRE Regex "issues" and work-arounds.
- 10 Essential Wireshark Skills ("Wireshark Functionality and Tips" Category) [CPE: 1.5] Follow along as Laura demonstrates 10 cool skills including host name extraction, key word searching with Regex, export to .csv format, TCP delta graphing, filter expression buttons and profile importing.
- CS48: Wireshark Jumpstart (Replaces CS41) ("Wireshark Functionality and Tips" Category) [CPE: 1.5] If you joined Gerald Combs and Laura Chappell for this event, you know it was packed with Wireshark tips and techniques. Laura recorded all the Jumpstart demonstrations for this course. The Event Notes 60-page booklet is in the course "Documents" section.
- Lab Solutions - Wireshark 101: Essential Skills for Network Analysis ("Book Courses" Category) [CPE: 3] 46 videos - over 3 hours of training - covering the solutions to all labs in the Wireshark 101 book/ebook/instructor-led course. The Wireshark 101 book is available in paperback/ebook format through Amazon.
Login and select Enroll in Classes to access these courses. Most courses include a Certificate of Completion.
Wireshark Tip o' the Day @laurachappell
Laura tweeted 100 Wireshark Tip o' the Day via @laurachappell! You can get the entire tip list here.
Train Your Team Onsite
Did you know you can bring Laura Chappell onsite for training? Get an entire team up to speed on basic through advanced Wireshark and network analysis techniques to find performance problems fast.
Check out the sample 2-day and 5-day course outlines and learn more about the ultimate Wireshark training experience.
Note that courses can be shortened or lengthened to meet your needs. Use these sample course outlines as a starting point for your customized course.
Visit the Chappell University Onsite page to learn more about onsite offerings and schedule your onsite course today.
Where Do I Start?
We know there are a LOT of classes in the All Access Pass training portal. This leads to the question... "Where do I start?"
The answer depends on your familiarity with Wireshark and TCP/IP communications.